Saturday, September 13, 2008

Los Angeles - Day 3


Notice the Los Angeles manhole cover: Made in India.

It's 9:08 am on Saturday, September 13 and I'm sitting in a coffee shop called The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. I arrived two days ago on Thursday, Sept. 11 and I have already created sort of a routine. I have been waking up before sunrise to do some gentle yoga to enliven my body and mind, and then I head to the local coffee shop (for internet access since I do not drink coffee).

I'm staying with this really nice guy named Marques (Marcus) in Playa Vista. He has an unfortunate karma. He is (un)blessed with sickle cell anemia. He has been in pain since a month before I arrived and it pains me to see him suffer. I hope I can help him through yoga. We are working on it.

I have no car, so I'm taking the bus everywhere. This has been quite the experience. People here are friendly and are usually willing to point me in the right direction. The key is having direction :)

I saw a horrifying train wreck on the news last night. There was a head-on collision between a commuter and freight train. I think it might be the deadliest train accident in the history of SoCal. The last one was in 2005 or so.. I'm avoiding the trains.

I've taken two classes with Kathryn Budig so far and they have were good. I took them both yesterday and after having taken two classes and walked who knows how how many miles, I just about collapsed in exhaustion around 9pm.

Before passing out, we ordered some Thai food. We got Pad Thai and Fried Rice. It was really really really ridiculously BAD! Hope there's better Thai food in LA :)

I notice that people in LA seem to take better care of themselves and are more active. Because the weather is so much nicer than in Dallas, I see more people doing things outdoors. Of course, there are those that look out of shape too, but that's true almost anywhere in the States. Obesity and a sedentary lifestyle is definitely a problem here. I feel the need to motivate people into honoring their bodies.

I spoke with Robert Sturman yesterday and we are tentatively planning to shoot on the beach this Sunday for his upcoming book. We are looking to do two pieces: one solo with me and one with a hot goddess. I can't wait!

I've fallen in love with the iPod especially on the bus ride across town.

Monday, I start school at LMU. I'm taking a certification in Vinyasa Krama with Srivatsa Ramaswami. He is the longest standing student of the legendary T Krishnamachary outside the Master’s immediate family. He and TKV Desikachar continue the Krishnamacharya yoga lineage along with B.K.S. Iyengar and K. Pattabhi Jois. They complete the Krishnamacharya yoga lineage and I intend to pass on their teachings to the best of my abilities.

In summary, I enjoy the weather, the landscape, the architecture, the people and especially the yoga :)

I'll post some pictures up soon..

Thanks for reading...


Namaste :)

3 Comments:

Blogger JouJou Loves You said...

I'm so proud of you Ricky!!!!

And of course they take great care of themselves in LA...HOLLYWOOD is there!!!!

September 13, 2008 at 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the blog man; especially the instructional entries. Sounds like you are well on your way to expand you're practice on this trip.

September 13, 2008 at 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so excited for you! you're going to love this trip and all the great things it brings your way.
don't worry there is a ton of fabulous food across the city! :-)while you're there check out bossa nova. it's a great brazilian restaurant. there are a few across the city. http://www.bossafood.com/index.html

enjoy your time!!!

September 15, 2008 at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home